This week’s veggie adventure food is a frittata. There is a bit of prep involved, but this really is a simple recipe. It’s also a great “kitchen sink” recipe….throw in some extra stuff and see what happens. 😀
*veggie bacon (I used 8 strips.)
*1 cup chopped broccoli florets
*1/4 cup water
*1/2 cup chopped tomato
*1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (whichever type makes your heart go pitter patter – or mix up more than one type)
*a little olive oil or butter
*salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder (all to taste)
*an oven-safe skillet/frying pan (I like to use cast iron.) If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, a shallow baking dish will also work.
(Take note! “To taste” means I have no idea how much I used…I just threw some in there and hoped for yum to happen.)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare veggie bacon in whatever fashion the package indicates. Crumble up prepared bacon.
3. Use butter or olive oil to saute broccoli (and whatever other veggies you feel like throwing in).
4. Lightly beat eggs and add them to the large bowl.
5. Add all of your other ingredients (including veggie bacon) to the bowl and mix it up.
6. Pour mixture into skillet.
7. Pop in the oven and cook for 25 minutes. (Use the knife test to make sure it’s done.)
How was it received by my family? They loved it! This frittata was gobbled up in a flash. I’ve tried a few frittata recipes in the past, and this was, by far, the best received. I didn’t even get any snarky comments about the veggie bacon. 😉